Historic Architecture Downtown Richmond:
A Walking Tour

Cradle and All
     Clay Pot Cafe & Fabulous Finds
     Curt's Work Clothes
     Starr Piano Showrooms
931-935 Main Street

Italianate (circa 1891)

This building was remodeled to house the showrooms of the Starr Piano Company, which manufactured its instruments in Richmond's Whitewater Gorge. The fine cast-iron columns of this storefront are by McHose & Lyon of Dayton, Ohio. The second floor was used as music studios for much of its history, and from 1925 to 28 it was occupied by John and Wilbur Crawford's store selling draperies, rugs, and interior design services. The fine architectural details of this building were revived by the current owner in 1991 with the Indiana Main Street Program and Richmond's Center City Development providing financial and design assistance.

Photo: Starr Piano Showrooms, 931-935 East Main Street, Richmond, Indiana

Quick Navigation
⇐ Back

Richmond's Downtown District

Next ⇒
  1. Wayne County Courthouse
  2. Richmond Municipal Building
  3. Elder-Beerman
  4. Chase Bank
  5. Summersault, LLC
  6. Harris Bank, Loan Department
  7. Harris Bank
  8. Odd Fellows, I.O.O.F. Building
  9. Lyons Insurance Offices
  1. U S Bank
  2. ACE Hardware
  3. Knollenberg's Art Gallery
  4. Abilities
  5. The Tin Lizzie Cafe
  6. John's Custom Framing
  7. Omni Home Care
  8. Richmond Art Works
  9. Sanders Jewelers, Inc.
  1. Leland Legacy
  2. Readmore Books
  3. Hoppe Jewelers
  4. Cradle and All
  5. Richmond Civic Theatre (RCT)
  6. Kessler's Sport Shop
  7. Interior Translations
  8. IN Football Hall of Fame
  9. Lingle Real Estate, Inc.
Locate on a Map

Map of the Downtown Richmond, Indiana Walking Tour

Acknowledgments & Notices

Note: This is the web-based incarnation of a brochure originally published in 2010. While the history is still very valuable, other information may no longer be accurate. Information updated by WayNet will be listed in this orange color.

Original brochure produced by Center City Development Corporation.

Brochure Committee:

  • Lynn L. Johnstone
  • Greg Bottorff
  • Julie Dishman
Special thanks to:
  • Morrisson-Reeves Library Staff:
    • Sue King, Archivist
    • Doris Ashbrook, Reference Services
  • Wayne County Historical Museum:
    • Jim Harlan Director

This project was made possible by a grant from the Richmond Urban Enterprise Association.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** for Walking Tour Information: Published in March 2010 In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this article is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for non-profit research and educational or criticism purposes only.


WayNet is Sponsored by:
Morrisson-Reeves Library
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools

Did You Know?

Wayne County was formed in 1811. It was named for General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, who was an officer during the Revolutionary War. Wayne is mainly remembered for his service in the 1790's in the Northwest Indian War, which included many actions in Indiana and Ohio.