Sponsored by
WayNet
 

Location
Downtown Richmond, Indiana, between North and South A, and 3rd to 10th Streets.
Admission
FREE
Hours
Public Access
Printed Brochure

For a printed copy of this brochure, please contact: VisitRichmond.org.

Acknowledgements

Original brochure produced by Center City Development Corporation.

Brochure Committee:
 ˇ Lynn L. Johnstone
 ˇ Greg Bottorff
 ˇ Julie Dishman

Special thanks to:
Morrisson-Reeves Library Staff:
 ˇ Sue King, Archivist
 ˇ Doris Ashbrook, Reference Services

Wayne County Historical Museum:
 ˇ Jim Harlan Director

This project was made possible by a grant from the Richmond Urban Enterprise Association.

Reid Hospital & Health Care Services
Morrisson-Reeves Library

Richmond Community Schools

Earlham College

EDC of Wayne Co.

First Bank Richmond

RP&L

...and all our
Sponsors!




blue line
Visit Indiana's
Official Web Site:

IN.gov
blue line
Questions
about WayNet.org?
letter

Email WayNet's Director

 

Home | Directory | News | Discover Wayne County | Find It Fast | Knowledge Center | Things To Do | Find a Member

Historic Architecture Downtown Richmond:
A Walking Tour
 

Knollenberg's Art Gallery
     Knollenberg's Department Store

809-815 East Main Street

Italianate (1877) and Queen Anne style (1888)

The store on the right, 809 East Main, of this landmark store was designed by Architect John A. Hasecoster in 1877. The Italianate, three story building replaced a wooden, two-story building that George Knollenberg had established on this site in 1863. The Knollenberg family migrated to Richmond in 1845 from Astrup, Germany. The dry goods business that they established grew and expanded into the largest retail store in Richmond.

The store on the left, 815 East Main, was also designed by Hasecoster in 1888. It is a rare example of commercial Queen Anne style architecture. The Queen Anne style was popular from 1885-1905. The style featured asymmetrical arrangements of towers, balconies, bay windows, and other decorative elements that had an international appeal. A third 8th Street addition, The Annex, was added around 1900, illustrating the sustained growth of the Richmond economy through this period of industrial expansion.

Knollenberg's Building, 809-815 East Main St., Richmond, Indiana

Back

Next

Note: This is the web-based incarnation of a brochure originally published in 2010.  While the history is still very valuable, other information may no longer be accurate.  Information updated by WayNet will be listed in this maroon color.
 
**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** for Walking Tour Information: Published in March 2010
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this article is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for non-profit research and educational or criticism purposes only.
 

Home Directory Top 20 Sponsors

Questions or Comments?  This page hosted by Waynet, Inc. as a public service.

Copyright Š 1997-2012 Waynet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Spanish: Traducir este Web site al espaņol.  Japanese: 日本語にこのウェブサイトを翻訳しなさい。  Russian: Перевести этот сайт на русском.  German: Diese Web site zum Deutschen übersetzen.