Historic Architecture Downtown Richmond:
A Walking Tour

Sanders Jewelers, Inc.
     Palladium Newspaper
     The Big Store
831 East Main Street

Italianate (1878)

Richard Jackson built this building a year after Knollenberg's building. This was a boom time in Richmond's development. The Daily and Weekly Palladium Newspapers were the first occupants. The Palladium held the largest Book and Job Printing house in the state outside of Indianapolis and had over 35 employees. Later, this building be-came The Big Store selling children's and adult clothing. Sander's Jewelers has owned the building for over 30 years and restored the exterior by removing the metal façade to expose the original beauty of the upper stories.

Photo: Sanders Jewelers, 831 East Main Street, Richmond, Indiana

Quick Navigation
⇐ Back

Richmond's Downtown District

Next ⇒
  1. Wayne County Courthouse
  2. Richmond Municipal Building
  3. Elder-Beerman
  4. Chase Bank
  5. Dudas Law
  6. Harris Bank, Loan Department
  7. Harris Bank
  8. Odd Fellows, I.O.O.F. Building
  9. Lyons Insurance Offices
  1. U S Bank
  2. ACE Hardware
  3. Knollenberg's Art Gallery
  4. Mona Lisa Salon
  5. The Tin Lizzie Cafe
  6. John's Custom Framing
  7. Opti-Vision 2000
  8. Richmond Art Works
  9. Sanders Jewelers, Inc.
  1. Leland Legacy
  2. Readmore Books
  3. Hoppe Jewelers
  4. Cradle and All
  5. Richmond Civic Theatre (RCT)
  6. BSN Sports
  7. Interior Translations
  8. IN Football Hall of Fame
  9. Lingle Real Estate, Inc.
Locate on a Map

Map of the Downtown Richmond, Indiana Walking Tour

Acknowledgments & Notices

Note: This is the web-based incarnation of a brochure originally published in 2010. While the history is still very valuable, other information may no longer be accurate. Information updated by WayNet will be listed in this orange color.

Original brochure produced by Center City Development Corporation.

Brochure Committee:

  • Lynn L. Johnstone
  • Greg Bottorff
  • Julie Dishman
Special thanks to:
  • Morrisson-Reeves Library Staff:
    • Sue King, Archivist
    • Doris Ashbrook, Reference Services
  • Wayne County Historical Museum:
    • Jim Harlan Director

This project was made possible by a grant from the Richmond Urban Enterprise Association.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** for Walking Tour Information: Published in March 2010 In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this article is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for non-profit research and educational or criticism purposes only.

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

WayNet is Sponsored by:
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library
Reid Health

Did You Know?

Dr. Mary F. Thomas, who practiced medicine in Richmond during the mid-1800's, was the second female physician to be admitted to the American Medical Association.