This three story building is another example of downtown Richmond's outstanding collection of stone-fronted commercial buildings, most of which were designed by John A. Hasecoster. In 1880, it was occupied by John E. Pelz's tailor shop. By 1900, it was a drug store, which was eventually supplanted by Readmore Books. The upper floors were designed as sleeping rooms for young, working men. In 1990, the first floor store front (dating from the 1950s) was replaced with design guidance from Richmond's Center City Development. The building at the rear was originally occupied by the Meerhoff Metal Implement and Building Supply Company.
|⇐ Back||Next ⇒|
Note: This is the web-based incarnation of a brochure originally published in 2010. While the history is still very valuable, other information may no longer be accurate. Information updated by WayNet will be listed in this orange color.
Original brochure produced by Center City Development Corporation.
This project was made possible by a grant from the Richmond Urban Enterprise Association.
**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** for Walking Tour Information: Published in March 2010 In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this article is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for non-profit research and educational or criticism purposes only.
Downtown Richmond, Indiana, between North and South A, and 3rd to 10th Streets.
|Location:||East Central Indiana, USA|
Highest Point in Indiana
|Mail:||50 North 5th St.
Richmond, IN 47374
Sign up for WayNet News
- our e-newsletter.
Get listed on this website!
Waynet, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)4 corporation that is fully-funded through memberships. Please support our members and let them know you located them via WayNet.org.
Top 20: popular pages & circulation information.