North 10th Street, A 19th Century Tour

Note: This is the web-based incarnation of a brochure originally published in 1980. While the history is still very valuable, other information may no longer be accurate. Information updated by WayNet will be listed in this orange color.

24-26 10th Street, Richmond, Indiana24-26 North 10th Street

Dr. James E. Taylor is believed to have been one of the early owners of this Italianate double situated northwest of Sailors St..  No. 24 was used as his residence and 26 as his office.  It is believed that this structure was built around 1870.

In 1898, while practicing medicine in Richmond, Dr.. Taylor did physicals for soldiers in the Richmond Company F section of the 161st Indiana Infantry. He originated from Ohio and while studying medicine in Michigan, he was active in the drug business. He also attended Miami Medical College and the Cincinnati Medical College. He was a member of the G.A.R. and trustee of the Smith Home for Women. (24) Jake and Fred (26) Miller of Pogue, Miller and Co. later acquired this building. It has since been razed and now serves as a parking lot.

28-30-32-34 10th Street, Richmond, Indiana28-30-32-34 North 10th Street

This multiple-family building was razed in 1970 and is presently a parking lot. It was erected in 1878 by Charles T. Price, Sr. Mr. Price was a shoe dealer who came from Philadelphia. Records show that the land for the structure was purchased from Caroline G. Boyce in 1987.

C.T. Price built a very large number of homes in Richmond and laid out four additions to the city of Richmond.

General Telephone (Richmond Home Telephone Co.) purchased the first of the four family units in 1950. A second unit was purchased in 1962, with the last two units being purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Charles Pollet in 1969.

The structure with its dormer windows and iron railing around the balcony stoops, is reminiscent of eastern townhouses.

110 North 10th Street, Richmond, Indiana110 North 10th Street

Known as the George Miller Home, this fine example of Italianate architecture was razed in 1956 to make way for an addition to the First Presbyterian Church.

This structure had 12 rooms and was built of brick sometime between 1877 and 1881 by W. N. Kendall. Mr. Kendall purchased the property in 1877 from William E. Bell.

The home was lived in by the widow of Mr. Miller until 1951. Mr. Miller purchased the home in 1896 from Charles C. Binkley.

Mr. Binkley was a Richmond attorney and secretary of the Cincinnati, Richmond and Fort Wayne Railroad. He purchased the home from Mr. George Upp in 1895.

Mr. George Upp purchased the property from Clara Kendall in 1892.

Mrs. Kendall acquired the property from Lilly Kendall in 1881. Lilly Kendall controlled the property for only one day and acquired the property from W.N. Kendall who was a member of Kendall, Barnes and Co., linseed oil manufactures.

112 North 10th Street, Richmond, IN112 North 10th Street

Dr. Charles S. Bond was a principle resident of this large Neo-Jacobean house. Dr. Bond was a member of the Wayne Co. Medical Association and numerous other organizations. He was born in Wayne County, June 8, 1856. He attended Earlham College, and Antioch, taught 6 years, and then studied medicine in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati receiving a Dr. of Medicine degree from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1883. He was one of four men chosen to give the valedictorian address. In 1887, he received the Dr. of Science and Masters of Science degrees from Earlham. He also was one of the founders of Saint Stephens Hospital.

In 1883 he married Julia M. Boyd.

126 North 10th Street, Richmond, Indiana126 North 10th Street

This beautifully restored mansion in the Italianate mode was the Augustus C. and Andrew F. Scott home.

Augustus C. Scott is listed primarily as a stock dealer while Andrew F. was an original stockholder of the First National Bank of Richmond in 1863. He also became the first director, an original officer, and president of the Second National Bank until his death in 1895. The 2nd National bailed out both the Farmers Bank in Boston and the Richmond National Bank in 1884 when they ran short of money.

The house was willed to the Wayne County Historical Museum in 1977 and when the restoration is completed it will be opened to the public. (2008 - once again privately owned.)

It is one of the few remaining housed in which several generations of the same family lived, leaving the house in almost original condition.

Back

Next

West Side East Side

Text and illustrations © 1980, Old Richmond, Inc.

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

WayNet is Sponsored by:
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library

Featured Member

Robin Henry

Community Photo

Did You Know?

As of the 2010 U.S. Census, Wayne County had 68,917 citizens.