North 10th Street, A 19th Century Tour

Note: This is the web-based incarnation of a brochure originally published in 1980. While the history is still very valuable, other information may no longer be accurate. Information updated by WayNet will be listed in this orange color.

406 10th Street, Richmond, IndianaN.W. Corner of 10th and D Street (406)

Pictured below is the residence of Charles West Starr. This modest appearing Federal home is believed to have been constructed in about 1826, when Mr. Starr bought 240 acres from Jeremiah Cox. It was razed in the 1890's for the Richmond Water Works building.

The West in Mr. Starr's name was his mother's maiden name. She was a cousin of Benjamin West, noted Philadelphia painter who moved to England and never returned to the United States.

Before coming to Richmond in 1825 Starr had learned the carpenter's trade in Philadelphia, engaged in the coasting trade between Charleston, S. C.

It was hoped that Richmond would become a manufacturing town and Mr. Starr did a great deal to accomplish this goal. Before he died in 1855, he tried to insure the success of Richmond by donating the land of the Pennsylvania Railroad station as well as land east of it, to

Elizabeth Starr continued where Charles left off and had to deal with some reported rivalry between herself and Robert Morrison, Joseph Plummer, John Smith and others of the west end of Main Street.

The Starrs also operated a popular tavern/hostelry on the old transcontinental highway. It was in operation from 1846 to 1854 and was razed to make room for the Dickinson Trust Building, which has also been razed and is the site of the present Second National Bank Building. (Fifth Third Bank).

Benjamin Starr was also a primary resident at this address. Being born there in 1842, he was the first of the 10 Starr children.

He served in Company C. 2nd Indiana Cavalry in 1861 and was engaged in the skirmishes enroute to Corinth, Pea Ridge, Tuscumbra, McMinnville, and Gallatin. In Gallatin, Benjamin was wounded in the head, was stricken with typhoid fever and fortunately recovered to become secretary and treasurer of Starr Piano Co.

(Revised: He served in Company C, 2nd Indiana Cavalry from September 1861 until September 1862. He was engaged in the skirmishes at Tuscumbia, MS, and McMinnville and Gallatin, TN. At Gallatin Benjamin was wounded in the head and was also stricken with typhoid fever. Fortunately he recovered and became the secretary and treasurer of the Starr Piano Co.)

He was one of the incorporators of the Cincinnati, Richmond and Muncie Railroad.

As a republican, he served as a member of council of administration of the G.A.R., trustee of the Soldiers and Sailor's Orphans Home at Knightstown, member of the board of regents of the Indiana Soldiers and Sailor's monument and as a member of the Richmond School Board.

In 1902 he was elected, unopposed as state senator from Wayne County, but died while in office.

He was married twice, first to Josephine Iredell who died in 1868, then to Mary Longstreet. They had a daughter Lydia who removed to Chicago.

Back

Next

West Side East Side

Text and illustrations © 1980, Old Richmond, Inc.

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

WayNet is Sponsored by:
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library

Community Photo

Did You Know?

Richmond was long known as "The Rose City" due to being home to Hills' Roses. Founder, E. G. Hill, was a gifted rose hybridizer, and introduced countless roses to the world. Hills' was once known as the largest grower of roses under glass. Hill Floral Products stopped growing roses in 1995.