Preserve Richmond, Inc.

Logo: City Skyline Graphic
Learn More

Mission Statement

  • To encourage sustainable development through preservation of historic resources and the heritage of Richmond and Wayne County, Indiana;

  • To help foster an understanding of our ancestors and their role in the historic and cultural development of the community;

  • To demonstrate the economic viability of the rescue of historic structures through advocacy, acquisition, protection, and research about sites, structures, and artifacts of importance to the cultural and historic development for the educational programs;

  • To publish literature about local and American architecture, interior design, antiques, technology and other related matters.

Board of Directors of Preserve Richmond, Inc.

Lynn L. Johnstone, President Ron Hughes
Julie Owen, Vice President Ron Morris, Honorary
Doris Ashbrook, Secretary Jean Prichard, Honorary
Ardene Schoeffler, Treasurer  
Larry Habschmidt  
Terry Harkleroad  

Most Endangered Local Historic Sites

At its 2004 annual meeting, Preserve Richmond introduced its first-ever list of the most endangered historic sites in our community. Below is a list of the current sites with brief updates on their status:

Bradford Apartments / Wayne Flats Apartments

Photo: Bradford Apartments1200 East Main Street, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: John A. Hasecoster
STYLE: Neoclassical
ERECTED: 1902

The Daily Sun-Telegram once described these apartments as elegant. When they were new, the Bradford Apartments combined up-to-date design and all the amenities including steam heat, fireplaces, marble entryways, and pocket doors. The building has now stood vacant for several years.

Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Depot and Freight Office

Photo: Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Depot and Freight Office300 North 3rd Street, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: Construction by Louck and Hill
STYLE: Craftsman/Romanesque
ERECTED: 1901

The Cincinnati, Richmond, & Muncie Line (C.R. & M.) originally constructed this small depot on the North side of Richmond and a companion depot on the Southside of town. After the C.R. & M. failed, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C. & O.) bought the railroad and the two depots in a receiver's sale. The Southside depot was razed many years ago. The North side depot eclectically combines Craftsman and Romanesque details.

George H. Knollenberg's Store

Photo: Knollenberg's Building809-815 East Main Street, Richmond, Indiana
PROGRESS
DESIGNER/BUILDER: John A. Hasecoster
STYLE: Italianate
ERECTED: 1877
STYLE: Queen Anne Addition
ERECTED: 1888

Once the premier department store in Richmond, Knollenberg's was recently once again vacant. Fortunately, Sassy Seconds has opened a clothing consignment store on the ground floor in the space once occupied by the Knollenberg Art Center and has also moved their new and used furniture store into the building.

Readmore

Photo: Readmore Building901 East Main Street, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: Unknown
STYLE: Italianate
ERECTED: 1880

This three-story building housed John E. Peltz's merchant Tailor shop in 1880. The upper two floors were rooms let to single gentleman by the Y.M.C.A. By 1900, a drug store occupied the ground floor. Most local residents will remember this building as Readmore bookstore. After several decades, Readmore was sold to a new owner who kept the name but transformed the business into a café and coffee shop that also sold magazines and a few books. The upstairs apartments were vacant during his ownership. This last incarnation of Readmore has now closed. The building is currently for sale.

Hasecoster Building at the "Old" Reid Hospital

Photo: "Old" Reid Hospital1403 Chester Boulevard, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: John A. Hasecoster
STYLE: Eclectic
ERECTED: 1905

Hasecoster's plans for a new hospital for Richmond were accepted in 1904. Built of Oolitic Indiana limestone the two story structure would have a 57-bed capacity. When Reid Hospital relocated, new owners of the old Reid were in place and several adaptive re-use plans were talked about. Old Reid has subsequently changed hands, and so far the "new owners" have not proceeded with any adaptive reuse plans they may have had.

American House

Photo: American House101 West Main Street, Centerville, Indiana
PROGRESS
DESIGNER/BUILDER: Unknown
STYLE: Federal
ERECTED: 1836-1839

Kyle and Mynde Turner recently purchased the American House in Centerville. By early spring, 2014, the Turners plan to open American House Antiques, an antique mall, on the first and second floors with future expansion to the third floor. Spots in the mall will be available for monthly rent.

Recent repairs to the historically significant structure include new parapet wall, roof and soffits. Rotted floors and floor joists have been replaced, floor supports added and bricks tuck pointed. The building has been gutted and cleaned. In the near future, there are plans to refinish floors and add new electrical and HVAC systems. Longer term plans include restored or replaced windows and window sills and a paved or concrete parking lot with landscaping.

Andrew Finley Scott House

Photo: Scott House126 North 10th Street, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: Unknown
STYLE: Italianate
ERECTED: 1858

Andrew Finley Scott was the founder and president of the Second National Bank. His descendants kept the house in the family until 1977. When the last Scott family resident died, the house was left to the Wayne County Historical Museum and functioned as a house museum until the soaring costs of upkeep made this impracticable. The Wayne County Historical Museum sold the house in 2004. This property is empty and for sale.

John Elwood Bundy Studio

Photo: John Bundy Studio527 West Main Street, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: John Elwood Bundy
STYLE: Eclectic
ERECTED: 1900

Photograph used with permission of Dan Tate from Dan Tate's Blog.

John Elwood Bundy resigned from the Earlham faculty in 1896. A few years later he built these two buildings. The larger front building was his residence and the smaller rear building was his studio. After his wife died in 1906, Bundy lived in the studio and his son and daughter-in-law lived in the residence. More than one artist has been associated with Bundy's studio. It is important that both the residence and the studio be preserved. The property has been sold. Status unknown.

Landwehr House "Old Richmond"

Photo: Landwehr House447 South 7th Street, Richmond, Indiana
DESIGNER/BUILDER: Unknown
STYLE: Federal
ERECTED: 1861

Frederick Landwehr, a German who immigrated to Richmond from Osnabruck in the 1850s, built this structure as a grocery and residence in 1861. Members of the Landwehr family operated a series of grocery stores and meat markets on the Southside of Richmond for close to a century. Neighborhood Preservation Services, Inc. bought this property in 1988. Under the guidance of the group's President, Gertrude "Lucky" Ward, the building was carefully restored as a double residence. Neighborhood Preservation Services, Inc. subsequently sold the building. This structure's history has become a part of Preserve Richmond's history because Preserve Richmond, Inc. was formed out of the merger of two local preservation groups, Neighborhood Preservation Services, Inc. and Historic Richmond, Inc. The property has been purchased by Philip Krouss.

What's Happening in our Community

  • Read our Newsletter.

  • Wayne County's Resource Inventory Council's driving tour CDs can be purchased for $7.50 at the following locations:

  • Wayne County's Resource Inventory Council (RIC) director, Ed Pollock, is preparing a survey of historic barns in Wayne County, Indiana. So far, Ed has collected information about more than 450 barns, most of which were built before 1950. If you know of an historic barn that could be included in the survey, contact Ed Pollock at 765.967.0260. Upon completion, the survey will be available on the internet.
  • Videos: Historic Richmond Today
  • All current and past Richmond preservation groups' materials now archived at Morrisson-Reeves Library
  • The Wurlitzer organ from the Tivoli Theatre has been donated to Preserve Richmond by Jan and David Harmer. It has been transported from Kentucky to Richmond by John and Sheila Hudson. It's looking for a new owner.

Preservation and Research Organizations

Membership

Individual $15
Family $20
Sustaining $25 and up
Corporate $35 and up

To join or renew your membership, send dues to:

Preserve Richmond, Inc.
P.O. Box 1873
Richmond, Indiana  47374-1873

Download a membership application

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

Contact Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1873
Richmond, Indiana 47375
Email: preserverichmond@yahoo.com
WayNet is Sponsored by:
Reid Hospital and Health Care Services
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library

Featured Member

Ivy Tech Community College

Did You Know?

Centerville served as the county seat of Wayne County, Indiana from 1818 to 1873 when it was moved to Richmond.