Archway Home in Centerville, Indiana

When Centerville was platted in 1814, the original streets were 100 feet wide. With the increased activity in town when it became the county seat in 1818, the width was decreased to 65 feet. Buildings with common walls were erected in front of original buildings. These original buildings could then be reached through the archways.

The five existing Archways are unusual in the interior of the United States. The Centerville Archways date from 1823 through 1836. The Centerville Historic District has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1971.

Photo: Archway Home in Centerville, Indiana - click to view on Flickr.

Photo taken June 4, 2011

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

Graphic: Calendar with "Today's Events" on the front page.

WayNet is Sponsored by:
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library
City of Richmond, Indiana

Featured Member

City of Richmond

Community Photo

More Photos:
Wayne County | WayNet Albums

Did You Know?

Richmond was long known as "The Rose City" due to being home to Hills' Roses. Founder, E. G. Hill, was a gifted rose hybridizer, and introduced countless roses to the world. Hills' was once known as the largest grower of roses under glass. Hill Floral Products stopped growing roses in 1995.