Richmond State Hospital

The land for the current Richmond State Hospital was purchased in 1878. Construction started in 1884 and was completed in 1890.

There are many interesting architectural details in the older buildings, including exterior cupolas, interior detailing such as intricate railings and stained glass.

The Hospital has had a number of names through the years, including East Indiana Asylum for the Insane, East Indiana Hospital for the Insane and finally Richmond State Hospital. Although it was never an official name, it was long referred to as "East Haven."

Richmond State Hospital Building - Click to view on Flickr.

Photo taken January 23, 2007

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

Graphic: Calendar with "Today's Events" on the front page.

WayNet is Sponsored by:
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library
City of Richmond, Indiana
Reid Health

Featured Member

Richmond Rose Garden, Inc.

Community Photo

More Photos:
Wayne County | WayNet Albums

Did You Know?

Dr. Mary F. Thomas, who practiced medicine in Richmond during the mid-1800's, was the second female physician to be admitted to the American Medical Association.