Weir Dam on the Whitewater River

The weir dam on the Whitewater River as seen from the pedestrian suspension bridge that crosses the river into the new Veteran's Memorial Park.

The weir dam was created to divert cooling water to a city-owned electric power plant which occupied the flat flood plain north of the Main Street Bridge. The first electric generators were built here in 1894 by private interests.1

Photo: Whitewater River with weir dam and the G Street Bridge in the background

Photo taken October 3, 2006

Whitewater Gorge

Photo: Footbridge Over the Whitewater River, from Sim Hodgins Parkway to Veteran's Park

1 Whitewater Gorge Park Trail Guide

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

Graphic: Calendar with "Today's Events" on the front page.

WayNet is Sponsored by:
City of Richmond, Indiana
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library

Featured Member

Porter Advertising, LLC

Community Photo

More Photos:
Wayne County | WayNet Albums

Did You Know?

Wilbur Wright, co-inventor of the airplane with his brother, Orville, attended school in Richmond, Indiana. His family moved to Dayton, Ohio in June of 1884 just before he would have received his diploma from Richmond High School. The diploma was awarded to him posthumously on April 16, 1994.