Beechwood (Isaac Kinsey House)

Located 2 miles south of Milton on Sarver Road is Beechwood, the Isaac Kinsey House. Mr. Kinsey was a stockholder in the Hoosier Drill Company. 

Photo: Large Italiante-style house with dark shutters.

Photo taken April 4, 2006

The Hoosier Drill Company was started by Joseph Ingels in 1857. The Hoosier Drill Company merged with several other companies in 1903 to become the American Seeding Company, then again in a 1929 merger to become the Oliver Farm Equipment Company .

From the "History of Wayne County, Indiana from its first settlement to the present time" by Andrew W. Young, (c) 1872 (p. 321 & 322)

    Hoosier Drill Manufactory - Joseph Ingles, patentee of the Hoosier Drill, commenced the manufacture in 1859, by horse power, and made the first year 25.  In 1867, a stock company was formed, composed of Isaac Kinsey, Alexander Jones, and Aaron Morris, by whom the business is still continued. Joseph Ingles is general agent for the company. They manufacture one and two-horse wheat drills, corn drills, and double-shovel iron cultivators. They give employment to between 40 and 50 hands; and their annual sales have averaged for the last four years, about $114,000.

  • Hoosier Drill Company
  • John M. Westcott & Companies
  • Hoosier Drill Company Color Trade Sign
  • American Seeding Machine Company Building (formerly Hoosier Drill Company)

Photo: Beechwood House, circa 2019 - large, white Italiante-style house with dark shutters
Beechwood, circa 2019

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

WayNet is Sponsored by:
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library
City of Richmond, Indiana
Reid Health

Featured Member

WECI - 91.5 FM

Community Photo

More Photos:
Wayne County | WayNet Albums

Did You Know?

Richmond was once known as "the lawnmower capital" because of the lawn mowers manufactured here from the late 19th century through the mid-20th century. Manufacturers included Motomower, Dille-McGuire and F&N.