Knollenberg's Building

The George H. Knollenberg Co. building is still standing in Uptown Richmond at 809 East Main Street. It formerly housed a family-owned department store, once the center of retailing in Richmond.

George H. Knollenberg was born on December 7, 1847 and began working in the dry-goods business when he was only 16.  He began his own enterprise 3 years later in 1866. The firm doubled in capacity during the first 5 years.

In 1877, before he was 30, George had purchased the site and built his own building (the tower section on the left). In 1888 the building was expanded to the west (the section with the Knollenberg's sign). In 1896, the company expanded further with another addition to the rear of the current building. This Annex, with frontage on South 8th Street, formerly housed a Chinese restaurant.

Photo: Front Facade, Knollenberg's Building

Photo taken April 6, 2001

After 130 years as a family-owned business, the Geo. H. Knollenberg Co. closed its doors in 1996. The building was purchased, remodeled and found new life, hosting a variety of businesses.

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

Graphic: Calendar with "Today's Events" on the front page.

WayNet is Sponsored by:
City of Richmond, Indiana
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools
Morrisson-Reeves Library

Featured Member

InSites Web Design

Community Photo

More Photos:
Wayne County | WayNet Albums

Did You Know?

Richmond was long known as "The Rose City" due to being home to Hills' Roses. Founder, E. G. Hill, was a gifted rose hybridizer, and introduced countless roses to the world. Hills' was once known as the largest grower of roses under glass. Hill Floral Products stopped growing roses in 1995.