Home | Directory | News | Discover Wayne County | Find It Fast | Knowledge Center | Things To Do | Find a Member

Pennsylvania Railroad Station
Photo taken August 22, 2001
[History]
Interior of the Pennsylvania Railroad Station in Richmond, Indiana.  Building designed by the firm of D.H. Burnham and Co.  Click for larger view.
Photo taken from southwest corner looking toward northeast corner.


The original entry door has been restored and re-installed.  

Detail of front portico.  Click for larger view.

Detail at the top of the portico.

Baggage or Railway Express Building, just east of the Depot.

The Pennsylvania Railroad Station is the focal point of the "Hoosier Bowery" district in Richmond.   It was designed in the office of Daniel Burnham, a famous architect from Chicago.  Mr. Burnham's firm is famous for designing The Rookery building in Chicago and The Flatiron Building in New York.   

The Depot was built in 1902 and is Neo-Classical in style.  It was saved through the efforts of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, Historic Richmond, Neighborhood Preservation Services, the Indiana National Road Association and the Urban Enterprise Zone Association.

During the summer of 2001, a local group of volunteers from the Richmond Area Railroader's Society worked diligently to clean and prepare the Pennsylvania Railroad Station to once again receive the public in its great hall.

Volunteers worked diligently to prepare the Depot to receive visitors once again.

The first train passed through Richmond on March 18th, 1853, with regular service to Indianapolis beginning in September 1853.  

This is the third Depot on this land donated by early pioneer and businessman, Charles W. Starr.  The first was a small passenger depot built between the two early railroads.  The second, the Union Passenger Station, was an elaborate Second Empire-style building large enough to allow trains to pass through it.  It was built in 1872 and replaced with the current Burnham building in 1902, when increased rail traffic demanded better accommodations.

In its prime, "The Depot" contained a restaurant, newsstand, barbershop, and shoeshine stand.  Railroad company offices were housed on the second floor.  At its peak, more than 25 passenger trains a day stopped at the station.

Train IconAdditional Resources at Morrisson-Reeves Library:

  • Ask for the "Railroad Pamphlet File" at the Reference Desk.
  • The History of Transportation in Wayne County by Luther M. Feeger, also at the Reference Desk
  • The Pennsylvania Railroad Depot was placed on the 10 Most Endangered list of the Indiana Historic Landmark Foundation in 2005.
  • Sale of Depot Announced on October 26, 2005. (Pal-Item article)

Home Directory Top 20 Sponsors

Questions or Comments?

Copyright Š 1997-2012 Waynet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Spanish: Traducir este Web site al espaņol.  Japanese: 日本語にこのウェブサイトを翻訳しなさい。  Russian: Перевести этот сайт на русском.  German: Diese Web site zum Deutschen übersetzen.