Historic Richmond Gas Company Building

Talk of the Town: Just Talk: Historic Richmond/Wayne County: Historic Richmond Gas Company Building
By Jane Holman (Admin) on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:20 pm: Edit Post

Now that the historic Pennsylvania Depot has been sold, should the community turn it's efforts to preserving the 1855 Richmond Gas Company Building, located just north of 1st Street, the entrance to the Starr-Gennett area of the Whitewater Gorge? If so, how would you envision the building being used?

(Message edited by admin on March 07, 2006)

By Rich Monder (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:16 pm: Edit Post

I snooped around that building & took some snapshots last time I was in Richmond a few years ago when the old bridge was halfway demolished. If that whole area got cleaned up & landscaped the view would be nice. So the usual suggestions come to mind - apartments or offices...that is, if the structure can be made safe. I'd much rather live there than the old train station.

By matt stegall (Unregistered Guest) on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 02:35 pm: Edit Post

Richmond has a extensive collection of historic properties. The Gas Works is one. It should be preserved. Unfortunately the community doesn't entirely embrace the value of historic preservation. That is why inner city neighborhoods have been allowed to deteriorate and sprawl goes inchecked. Overall it has a negative affect on a beautiful city

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: