Restaurant Reviews

Talk of the Town: Just Talk: Restaurant Reviews

By Jane Holman (Admin) on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 02:52 pm: Edit Post

A visitor writes:
I grew up in Richmond and drove to Hagerstown to eat at a place called Lydia's Restaurant. They served meals "home style" and had a dish there called escalloped cabbage. I realize the restaurant is not there anymore, but does ANYONE have that recipe? I sure would love to make that dish - it was a favorite!

I do have one of their dessert recipes - the lemon layered dessert (a BIG favorite) and I'd be willing to trade!!

By Richard William Stadelmann (Willorich) on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:13 pm: Edit Post

Growing up in Richmond in the thirties, forties and fifties, I enjoyed the restaurant cooking. I enjoyed the Maid Rite sandwiches, and the pork tenderloins that you could get at many restaurants. Last summer visiting Richmond the only pork tenderloin I could find was a pale reflection of those I remember. Instead of thick pork in a crispy coating, it was a thin piece of fat and tough meat drowned in mayo. I have a question for my next visit to Richmond, next summer. Where can you buy a good pork tenderloin? For that matter, does anyone make a sandwich like the old maid rite? Thanks.

By MGM (Mgm) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:51 am: Edit Post

For a breaded pork tenderloin, my personal favorite is the Hilltop Drive-in in Cambridge City. They are located on U.S. 40, just as you begin going up the hill heading west out of town. They are hand-pounded and very tasty! (705 West Main, 765-478-5880).

If you're really hankering for a Maid-Rite, there is still a Maid-Rite shop about a half-hour from Richmond in Greenville, Ohio. (121 N Broadway St., 937-547-1938.)

By Rich Monder (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:05 am: Edit Post

Where was the Maid-Rite, that sounds familiar? In the late 60's we used to get our tenderloin at the place in front of the White Kitchen, NW 5th & Indiana Ave. 2 big sandwiches (and maybe a Coke) for 99 cents.

By Dan Stevens (Dan) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:56 am: Edit Post

Rich, the Maid-Rite in Richmond was located about where the Stake N Shake is now on east side. The name of the drive-in where you got the tenderloin on N.W.5th was called the Penguin drive-in.

By Lesley Shore (Optimist) on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:26 pm: Edit Post

Regarding "escalloped cabbage" I believe my mother in law can make that. I will find the recipe. I am from Hagerstown and know it has to be known here. I think Welliver's might have even served it.

By Jane Holman (Admin) on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 04:57 pm: Edit Post

Enjoy blog reviews of Palais Royal in Centerville, Indiana (still open, by the way, in the evening
in May 2008) and Galo's Italian Grill in Richmond, Indiana.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: