New Directional Signs

Talk of the Town: Just Talk: Government & Politics: New Directional Signs
By Jane Holman (Admin) on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:52 am: Edit Post

Let's hear it! What do you think of the new directional signs recently erected by the City of Richmond?

By Michael Sweigart on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit Post

I started noticing the signs a few weeks ago. I really don't care for them. I think the idea is good, but the implementation leaves something to be desired. The signs are awkwardly placed and too large. I think in order to be effective, all street signs need to be replaced with the color scheme chosen to represent the sites of interest, but I am not sure this would be valid either. A suggestion: what about placing the points of interest signs on street light posts, rather than at the side of the road where they are harder to identify?

By shelleyb on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:41 pm: Edit Post

Actually, I think the signs are great! I like the large signs, they remind me of signage in Muncie, Columbus, and other cities known for their tourism efforts. I think the signs need their own designated "space", not on another sign post where they just look like clutter. One site, at Natl Rd E and N 18th was a little confusing (it has an arrow at top pointing north, then the words North, South, and West underneath). For the most part, I think the signage will help with out-of-town traffic around the one-way square of North and South A streets.

By Liz Craig on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 11:41 pm: Edit Post

As we drove from the east side of town to the west side a few days ago, we enjoyed seeing the new signs and watching for the next location. I guess there isn't much to "sign" about once you turn onto N 5th Street and cross the bridge on Richmond Ave. It seemed kind of desolate. I imagine we would have seen more signs, had we stayed on 40. Is there a list of sign locations that we can view?

I agree with shelleyb about the sign at National Rd East and N 18th. It was a little confusing. The other thing that we noticed was that in some instances, the color of a particular sign was pretty much the same as the building in the background which made the sign "disappear".

By Bill O'Hara Felker (Whfelker) on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 09:19 pm: Edit Post

Maybe the word "To" could be placed in front of the arrow -> .... (To ->) The arrow by itself and the words beneath, such as Westside, Northside and Southside, are confusing. Also... why place "Richmond" beneath the sign? I would hope motorists would know where they were!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: