Also known as "The Gas Light District"
Prior to the Civil War, Richmond was a prosperous center of the farm implement industry with an elegant north side residential neighborhood called the Starr District. Many historic structures dating back to the early 1800's are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and includes such elegant homes as the Scott House.
Starr Historic District comprises an area of the near north side of Richmond, bounded on the south by North "A" Street, on the north by North "E" Street, on the west by the alley between North 9th and 10th Streets and on the east by North 16th Street. This area contains 120 structures of historical significance. The focal point of this historic district is the Hicksite Friends Meetinghouse (Wayne County Historical Museum) between 11th and 12 Streets on North "A" Street.
The district is an early Victorian neighborhood, perhaps one of the finest remaining in the Midwest. It was an elite residential area of large townhouses and mansions. The dominate style of buildings are; Italianate, Second Empire, Greek Revival, and Queen Anne.
The neighborhood was developed by Charles and Elizabeth Starr who purchased the land from Jeremiah Cox (one of Richmond's Founders). The Starr's moved to Richmond in 1825 after Charles had worked in the export business. The Starr's also developed the area around North "E" Street and Fort Wayne Avenue. The Starr family influenced Richmond's early development and later owned Starr Piano.
The district is an excellent example of the life and times of the period. Many homes are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and enrolled in the Historic American Buildings Survey. Nearly half of the residents of the district were leaders in Indiana business and industry in the 19th century. The Starr Historic District is a symbol of that era and to the people who organized, operated and dominated Indiana economic life prior to 1900.
It was never a commercial neighborhood, only a few of the buildings in the district were used commercially. It has always been a residential neighborhood.
Starr Historic District is considered equal in importance to Old Richmond Historic District in terms of preservation planning. The 1969-70 study made by City Planning Associates, Inc. indicates that this district is historically important to the nation.
Family history as well as architectural details of the homes along North 10th Street are available on the "Tenth Street Tour".
This information provided by:
Wayne County Historical Society
1150 North A Street
Richmond, IN 47374
Near north side of Richmond, Indiana - bounded on the south by North "A" Street, on the north by North "E" Street, on the west by the alley between North 9th and 10th Streets and on the east by North 16th Street.
Free / Public Access
Walking tour information available from the Tourism Bureau.
|Location:||East Central Indiana, USA|
Highest Point in Indiana
|Mail:||50 North 5th St.
Richmond, IN 47374
Sign up for WayNet News
- our e-newsletter.
Get listed on this website!
Waynet, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)4 corporation that is fully-funded through memberships. Please support our members and let them know you located them via WayNet.org.
Top 25: popular pages & circulation information.