Churches in Greens Fork, Indiana

Christian Church | Friends Meeting | Methodist Episcopal Church | Still Water Baptist | Sugar Grove Community Church | United Brethren

Christian Church

Located at 116 East Pearl Street (State Road 38). Phone: 765.886.5030

Pastor: Matt Fagan

Sunday School 9:30 a.m.
Worship Service 10:30 a.m.
Evening Service 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday Afternoon Alive Services meet from September to May
Bible Study 7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays

Organizations: Youth Group

Friend’s Meeting

A Friend’s meeting-house was built as early as 1814 or 1815, by Jesse Bond, below the town, near where the South Cemetery at Greens Fork is located (1998). A frame house was afterwards built at or near the same place. After the schism of 1828 those calling themselves, "Orthodox" built a house a mile northeast of town, on land given for that purpose by John Baldwin. The only society in the vicinity, in 1884, held its meetings in this house. The pastor was Rev. J. E. West in 1884. The church no longer stands (1998), however, there is an active graveyard located there. (Location: State Road 38 and Carlos Road to the intersection of Carlos & Webster Roads. The graveyard is located on the Northwest corner of the intersection.)

Still Water Baptist Church

Grace Baptist Church 116 South Green Street
Church Phone: 765.965.5353
Dennis R. Judy, Pastor

Weekly Service Times:
Sunday School - 9:30 a.m. 
Morning Worship Service - 10:30 a.m. 
Evening Worship Service - 6:00 p.m. 
Wednesday Prayer Meeting & Bible Study - 7:00 p.m. 

Ministries: Monthly Activities, Service Opportunities, Nursery Care, Sunday School Classes For All Ages, Choirs & Weekly Special Music, Vacation Bible School, Ladies Fellowships.

History: Grace Baptist Church was founded on May 2, 1993, in the historic Doddridge Chapel southwest of Centerville, Indiana. After much prayer and waiting on the Lord's leading, GBC purchased the historic John Ellis, Jr., Grocery Store in Greens Fork, Indiana. Grace Baptist held its first service in their new building January 2, 2000. Since that date much remodeling has been done with a desire to have a building that glorifies God, is functional for ministry and is an asset to the community.

United Methodist Episcopal Church

Methodist Episcopal ChurchMain Street.  Phone: 765.886.5166

Sunday School 9:30 a.m.
Worship Service 10:30 a.m.

Minister: Rev. Wendy Canon

The United Methodist Episcopal Church was organized about 1818. There was preaching at the houses of some of the settlers as early as 1814 and 1815. In the later year the Rev. William Hunt was placed on the Whitewater Circuit, and preached in the township at different times, at the house of James Porter, William Fox, and others who were, a few years later, instrumental in organizing a society. Among the early members were: James Porter, Odell, William Fox, and their wives and Polly Morgan, whose husband had been killed by Indians at Morgan’s Creek. The ministers who were appointed to the Whitewater Circuit held their meeting first, after the residences of the members, at the school house, until the erection of the church. The minister in 1884 was Rev. W. A. Peck. The current location of the church is at the intersection of South Main and Cross Streets on the southwest corner. An earlier location for the church meetings was at the intersection of North Main and Carriage Streets sitting on the northeast corner and is a residential home at present (1998).

Sugar Grove Community Church

Sugar Grove Community ChurchSunday School 9:00 a.m.6404 Sugar Grove Road.  Phone: 765.886.5175

Worship Service 10:00 a.m.
Children’s Sermonette
Evening Service
Bible Study
A nursery is provided.

Organizations: Sergeants Youth Group

Superintendent: Debbie Goode
Assistant Superintendent: Paula Caudle
Secretary: Jared Martin
Elders: Roger Martin, Brent Biggs
Pastor: Adam Rinehart
Organist: Teresa Jackson
Pianist: April Limburg

United Brethren

While this church is not so old as the others in the township, the churches at Jacksonburg and at Hagerstown were attended by members from Clay Township. When the church society was formed is not known, but was believed to be some time in the 1830's.

They built a church near Green’s Fork, which they occupied for many years. In 1870, they erected a brick church in town that was still standing in 1884. The pastor in 1884 was Rev. R. W. Small. This brick church structure is still standing and in 1998 was a private dwelling home located at the corner of North Green and Hard Streets.

Greens Fork Cemeteries

Special thanks to Jayne Beers of the Clay Township Historical and Preservation Society for providing this information.

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

WayNet is Sponsored by:
Morrisson-Reeves Library
Reid Hospital and Health Care Services
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools

Community Photo

Did You Know?

Originally an isolated oasis for stagecoach riders traveling along the National Road, the circa 1839 Huddleston House in Mt. Auburn, Indiana is now open to visitors thanks to the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.